Saturday, July 28, 2012

Impacts on Professional Practice

When I think of the isms that I have faced in my life I think that isms that come to mind would be racism. I grew up in a family that was multiracial. I remember being a young child and hearing nasty remarks. Growing up in the south multiracial families are often talked about and looked down upon. I grew up with a nephew that was biracial. He was picked on and called ugly names. I remember the hurt in his face when people would make such nasty remarks. I remember thinking "How ugly can people be, especially to a child that has no control over his situation?" The consequences that children and families that I work with today may experience from my personal experiences would be positive. I see the hurt that racism causes to families and I would be mindful of the things that I say and how I treat those families and children. I would ensure that my classroom setting was warming to all families.

4 comments:

  1. Andy,

    I can definitely relate to racism towards multiracial families. Often times, I have experienced that adults are more harsh than children when it comes to the names and bullying of biracial/multiracial children. Sometimes adults think what they are saying. they child will not understand or be affected, but it is just the opposite, children understand and hear more than adults know/think. I think it is great that you are now able to relate to other children and families and help them to have a positive experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,

    I find it baffling how people treat others, especially remarks made to a child. Your experiences will carry you far and you will be able to relate to your children that you work with. Thanks for your post!


    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy,

    Your story about yourself and your nephew is so sad in this day and time. I am quite sure your nephew felt great pain while growing up. I think because of your experiences and those of your nephew you will be able to identify with children that are biracial and you will make the difference in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby and Fawn,

    It is amazing at how people are this day and time. I can not get over how people can make such remarks about a child. THe world is a hateful hateful place. My experiences have given me a spark for children that are different and I long to be the voice of those children in order for them to be heard so that hopefully one day no child will have to experience what my nephew has had to deal with.

    ReplyDelete