Sunday, July 15, 2012

Effective Communication

I recently observed my sister trying to get my three year old little boy to pick up his toys and get his shoes on so that we could head to the beach. I watched from a far so that he wouldn't try to run to me and think that he was going to be free from completing his tasks. My sister quietly but firmly spoke to Carson. She prompted him to pick up his toys and grab his shoes so that we could head to the beach. He fell out in the floor and refused to do anything. She reminded him that he wanted to go down to the beach and if he didn't pick up his mess and get his shoes on then he was not going to the beach. Carson sat up, looked around and pouted but picked up one toy then stopped. My sister had bent down and started hand over hand with him and began to make him pick up toys. By the time he was ready for his shoes to be on..he was doing that himself. My sister reminded him of what a good helper he was and how everyone likes a good helper. He said, "Im a good helper"  My sister praised him for picking toys up and they raced out the door to the beach. He was smiling and ready to go.

I liked that she quietly but firmly spoke with him to get his attention and that she had to assist him with the hand over hand in order to get him started with picking up the toys. I think that its important to get on eye level with the child and encourage them as much as possible to get a task completed. My son is strong willed and at times talking does not work...we have to try many different techniques in order to get him involved such as the hand over hand, singing songs, and making the task a game. I am learning much on effective communication this week with children.

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I think that using the hand over hand strategy to get him started was essential in making the task happen (and in a timely manner). In situations like this, the biggest mistake I see people make is not following through with the consequences. "If you don't pick up your toys, we won't go to the beach." It's essential that the beach trip doesn't happen until the toys are picked up. "If you don't eat your dinner, you don't get dessert." Again, being firm and saying no to ice cream because dinner was not eaten is important.

    Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete