Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sexualization and Early Childhood

Sexualization within the Early Childhood setting is rather disturbing to me. It seems that our society is pushing for children to grow up faster than they need to. Media portrays barbies that can have babies, dolls that are full figured and clothing is made to look older and more mature. Television shows are portraying a negative image to young children on sexaulization. Children no longer look like innocent children. It amazes me to see how some parents allow children to be so subjected to such sexualization.

In my own personal and professional life I have seen children get upset because they are not "as pretty" as the other girls because they are chubby, or hair is not long enough or eye color is not blue enough." One example that stands out to me that is most recent is going shopping and observing people. It is sad to see children dressed with such short shorts on, make up as if they were grown, and looking years older. I can't help but think, "what happened to the simple life and just being a kid?!"

 The sexualization plays a huge impact on children's lives. Children grown up entirely too fast and exposed to dress, body image, and other pressures that cause them to often miss out on being a simple child. I blame this on the media for trying to promote toys and other kid friendly items to be more in the sexual light. I was raised when girls dressed like little girls...there was no make up, heels, or older type clothing until I was high school age. Now those things seem to be what the media pushes for our children at such young ages. These images often cause extreme problems for our children. If we look around we see young teen girls looking as if they are in their twenties. I believe that within the classroom it is important to express to children to just be children. The world is moving at such a fast pace, media pushing all of these things, but children should just be allowed to be children. As a professional it is important to address any forms of sexualization and work towards positive ways of moving past it.

3 comments:

  1. Andy,

    I can feel your outrage. I feel the same way. When I was growing up children were not subjected to sexual material or commercials did not exploit young children. It is our responsibility as professionals to help children to develop and grow to have a positive self image in spite of the media and popular culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow how I so agree with the two of you. I often tell children and young parents your really only have one childhood. There is no reason to rush it. If you experience it all as child you have nothing to look forward to as an adult. Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our future is scary. I am 27 and I feel like people my age grew up just before this oversexualization occurred. It seems like people who are even 21 are dressing provocatively and clearly have no self-worth. You're right, kids are just growing up too fast. What's the rush? I was getting a pedicure today and a girl, likely around 7, was in the chair next to me. First of all, why are you getting a pedicure? Second of all, she had a nicer cell phone that I do! I'm just up in arms about the future of our country. It all starts with early childhood too. Parents need to step up and say "no". Who cares what people in magazines and on TV look like or are doing. Know what's best for your child and do your job and say no!

    Sorry for the outrage! This is obviously a topic that gets me going.

    Thank you for sharing your experiences.

    Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete