Saturday, March 24, 2012

Who am I as a communicator?

Was I surprised by the results of the quizzes?? I was really surprised on the verbal aggression quiz. My sister and husband took the quizzes for me and scored in the low range stating that I respected others views and didn't attack the person's intelligence or ideas. When I took that quiz on aggression I scored in the significant range. It stated that with little provocation that I may cross the line of argumentativeness and attack a person's position of statements and verbal aggressions that can be hurtful to the listener. I guess I was shocked at this result because I tend to avoid all conflict as much as possible and then I hold a lot of my opinions inside even when I get upset I try to "bottle" it all up inside, however, I guess that could be why I got the score of significant. The other surprise was that all three quizzes put me in the first category of listening. I wasn't too surprised by this for I feel that I tend to be a good listener and devote my attention to the person speaking. I feel that listening and communicating effectively are two traits that are really important within the professional world especially when it comes to dealing with children and their families. If a family feels that they can talk to us then we can form a bond with them and be able to talk with them and assist them when needed.

4 comments:

  1. Andria,

    I agree with you regarding the importance of effective communication in our relationships with children and families. They count on us as trusting sources who will be there when they need us. Being able to listen without judging is important in sustaining our relationships with the children, families and our co-workers.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who Am I as a Communicator?
    What do you think about this viewpoint?
    I consider myself a skillful communicator. I like the facts, when I speak in order to assume. I nurtured my knowledge with additional information. I use the information to solve complex and defend my viewpoints. I enjoy conversations where I have a lot of information to share. When I speak with children "I feel they learn from me." "When I talk with parents, I show respect regard information they need to know about the child development." With my co-workers, I develop a communication that allowed them to feel capable as I do or more.

    According to my co-workers Ms. Smith and Ms. Kenlyne I am a skilled communicator. They both [place a situation was happening in the program. We cannot talk to parents about pessimistic concerns. In which I said: That is impossible how parents are going to help us address their behavior or negative issues.” Remarking, they agree with me and enjoy my opinion. I also ask for the policies of the roles of the parents. Ending they add that I am very careful when I talk to parents, children and co-workers. “You always think about feelings.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andria,
    Isn't it interesting when others don't see things that we regard as faults or weaknesses? My experience with this activity was similiar in another category. I was surprised at the differences that we had in our opinions of my communication anxiety.
    I agree with you that effective listening is crucial in communicating with families and children. These people in our life need to know that we hear and understand them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, I see myself as a skillful communicator as well, however, I feel weak in the area of public speaking. I feel like I am a good communicator but when put in a public speaking situation I freeze up and feel that I stumble on my words. My biggest communication anxiety is public speaking.

    Mrs. Mcg- It is interesting when others do not see the faults or weaknesses that we seen in ourselves. I guess many times we are just harder on ourselves.

    ReplyDelete