Saturday, March 17, 2012

Communicating Culturally

When I thought about this blog I didn't think that I communicated differently with people of different cultures. The more I think about it and analyze the question, I see where I do communicate with those differently than myself in different ways. Growing up in the south it seems that everyone is the same but North and South Louisiana are as different as night and day from our accents down to our culture. I find myself having to play close attention to what south Louisianians say because their accents are thicker than mine. If I don't understand what is being said I have to ask in simple terms what is being said. I have also had to get familiar with the culture of south Louisiana more.  I have lived in North Louisiana for a few years but never had much to do with south Louisiana until I started working with some of my co-workers who are south Louisianians. I learned from the readings this week "don't expect just because you know a person's culture that you can predict his or her behaviors." (Gonzalez, 2). I have learned that each person is different and the differences within our cultures makes us unique.

The three strategies that can help me communicate effectively:

1. Realize that each person is different. I believe that this is important because it will help make for a better understanding of each other. The differences that we each portray is what makes us unique.
2. Have an open mind. This is important because many times people from different cultures may or may  not share the same ideas or believes that we share and therefore by having an open mind we can see where they are coming from and hopefully they can see our views.
3. A great listener. When we listen and pick up on the verbal as well the nonverbal cues then we can become effective communicators with all people.

reference:
Gonzalez-Mena, J. (2010). 50 strategies for communicating and working with diverse families. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.

3 comments:

  1. I am learning that being a great listener is as important as being an effective verbal communicator. Listening helps you gauge the audience, pick up this cues as you said, and participate with knowledge in the communication experience. The phrase "having an open mind" is used often, but is so relevant in our field. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy I think your three strategies is very important and will help your communicating skills because they compliment eachother which will help your meet your goals for being a effective communicator thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If, we assume or expect we might be wrong. This expression of Gonzalez remind me when I was younger, and because a friend of mine judge a person, I use to judge him/her the same way. Further is part of the ignorance. Many people grow up and learn the correct way to move one in life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete